Geography is taught through a topic based approach to ensure learning is meaningful and relevant. Clear links are made with other subjects to provide a whole picture of Earth and its history.
Through this method of teaching our children will learn to:
- comment and ask questions about aspects of their familiar world such as the place where they live or the natural world (Early Years)
- talk about some of the things they have observed such as natural and found objects (Early Years)
- talk about why things happen and how things work (Early Years)
- have knowledge of where places are and what they are like
- understand the ways in which places are interdependent and interconnected and understand human and physical features of different environments
- develop and use geographical knowledge and vocabulary
- have the ability to reach clear conclusions and develop a reasoned argument to explain findings
- utilise geographical skills and techniques including carrying out field work
- develop the ability to express well-balanced opinions, rooted in very good knowledge and understanding about current and contemporary issues in society and the environment
Below are some useful websites to engage children in the world around them.
Useful Geography Websites