The national curriculum for art and design aims to ensure that all pupils:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
At Golcar J, I & N School, Art is taught as an integral part of the school’s cross curricular approach to different topics and as a subject in its own right. Artwork is used and displayed widely throughout the whole school in order to foster an appreciation of different forms, traditions and cultures. All children are encouraged to be creative, explore ideas and new skills, using a range of media, inspiring a passion for Art.
We aim to:
- Plan and offer opportunities for learners to be creative, express themselves and enjoy themselves in and through art
- Develop skills in creativity and innovation
- Enable children to gain a sense of own identity and discover strengths and talents.
- Enhance confidence and self-esteem
- Enable children to be creative within an environment which encourages exploration.
- Encourage the use of Art as an effective medium for achieving other educational objectives
- Enhance children’s appreciation of different cultures through art
- Foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts and a knowledge of artists, craftspeople and designers
- Help develop a respect for others’ artistic tastes and points of view.