Our school celebrates and encourages writing; the children are taught to write in a variety of styles including narrative, poetry, biographies, blogs, explanations, recounts, and reporting to suit different purposes and audiences.
Children in Key Stage 1 develop the necessary skills for writing through a variety of fiction, poetry and non-fiction texts. Much of the children’s writing is linked to our current topic to ensure writing activities are relevant and meaningful. In Key Stage 2, the children are encouraged and required to plan, draft, edit and improve longer pieces of writing showing a range of skills.
From Year 2 onwards, spelling is taught through the ‘Read Write Inc.’ programme.
Read Write Inc. Spelling:
- Teaches spelling in short, snappy 15 minute sessions
- Engages children - new concepts are introduced by aliens on an exciting online spelling planet
- Records progress through pupil Log Books which are also sent home
- Includes practice tests to build confidence and allows opportunities for assessment.
The teaching of grammar and punctuation is taught through our Literacy lessons; it is not stand-alone as we feel that the children develop a better understanding of grammar and punctuation when they are taught in context. We aim to inspire all children to improve their writing throughout every piece of work produced.
At Golcar J, I & N School, we ensure children receive a broad and balanced curriculum in language and literature so that they can, as speakers, listeners and writers:
- Take pleasure in all aspects of Literacy.
- Read and write with confidence, fluency and understanding.
- Develop independent strategies to self-monitor and correct.
- Develop the powers of imagination.
- Learn excellent transcription skills ensuring pieces of writing are well-presented with accurate spelling and punctuation.
The Resource Web - Nicola Roberts
New COMPREHENSION, GRAMMAR & WRITING resources are added every day.
The resources develop English skills using Cross-Curricular content (KS1 and KS2), leading to high-quality writing.
These resources will be available until 15th May 2020 and can be accessed via this link: http://www.nicolasroberts.co.uk/
Click on KS1 or KS2 in Home Web and use these log-in details:
User Name: sch355 Password: writing